Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My new lifestyle...



Well, it's finally happened. My Mom has gone back to UT and Neal is back at work (he's actually been working the whole time Mom's been here, but is taking off 10 days starting Friday--woot!) and I am officially alone as a mom. It's so crazy! Since it's hard for a 2 week old to have a schedule, our days mostly consist of sleeping, grunting (him, not me usually), changing diapers, and nursing, which if you've done it you know it takes FOREVER each time-- sheesh! I'm waiting for my energy to come back, but I fear I may be waiting a long while... I am not good at taking naps, and the second I force myself to try to take one, he pops awake and wants to grunt/eat/stare at me/be changed. ALTHOUGH I did take Mom to Iwo Jima because she'd never been, so I think that's pretty good considering G was one week old!

Notice how I've already mentioned his grunting twice? Yeah, he grunts ALL THE TIME. At first we thought there was something wrong with him, now we mostly just think he's a grunting goat boy and might always be... he may grunt until he can talk, who knows? Anyway. Mom kept telling us, "no babies are EASY, but he really is a pretty easy baby!" He rarely cries and is easily soothed most of the time. He's really only been "fussy" for about ten minutes total since he was born, unless of course, grunting is being fussy, which I don't think it is. He is truly a joy to be around, and is the CUTEST LITTLE GUY in the history of the world, we're pretty sure.
I LOVE seeing Neal as a Papa too! He is so adorable with Gideon. I'm adjusting pretty well to being a Mom, I think. I really do feel patient with him, even in the middle of the night. (oh, except when he spits up in my hair and simultaneously poops on me, then pees in his own face while being changed-- then I just walk away from him and Neal takes over.) I'm still pretty emotional and drained, but since it's only been 2.5 weeks, I think that's to be expected.

All in all, it is a wonderful change. We already love him SO MUCH, it's crazy! He brings a lot of joy (and grunting) into our home, and we are so lucky to have him! We are also lucky to have so much support-- I might die without it all the meals, presents, visits, e-mails, texts, phone calls, etc. So keep it up, people!


11 comments:

Alison said...

Russell totally grunted his way through his first 2 months...his grunting totally got in the way of me sleeping soundly! He's adorable and it sounds like you are doing great. xo

Amylee said...

He really is so cute. He has such distinct little features! (that's a good thing, in case you are wondering). It takes a long time to really adjust- especially your body. Hormones (and everything else!) are out of whack, so give yourself a lot of wiggle room :). I'm sure you are doing awesome. After 2 weeks they kind of wake up and join the world, so get ready to actually meet your baby for real in the next little while! Annie was an angel for the first two weeks- that is, until she actually decided to join this world...

Shelley said...

So are you saying he grunts a lot??? Sounds like you are adjusting quite nicely.

Rich and Brianne said...

Oh my goodness he is precious. Being a mother is the hardest, and most rewarding job ever. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, and I'm positive you are a wonderful mother. Enjoy this beginning time, it goes by fast!

Cali said...

You are a great mom! And, I'm impressed with how relaxed you seem when Piper wants to "help" with G.

Kaitie Jayne said...

Baby G is so cute! I can't wait until I get to meet him!!! I hope he stops grunting soon! =)

Anonymous said...

Great post. Hannah you are doing terrific!! Have fun with your little piggy. Love to Neal too.

Melanie said...

Well, I miss him, and I wouldn't call it grunting ;-D

Melanie said...

And I LOVE seeing Hannah and Neal as parents, they are great!

The Wood Family said...

Hannah, Congrats! And he is absolutely, oh-my-goodness adorable. I especially love that last pic. I promise it gets easier (well, and harder, but the night stuff and pooping on you stuff gets easier!)... being a mom is the hardest and most wonderful thing in the world. You sound like you are ROCKING IT. Way to go. I wish I could HOLD HIM! :)

*Meg Larsen* said...

so sweet! I've had a few friends with "grunting" babies and I think they're adorable! I seem to get "cranky, screaming" babies and it's not as much fun. Good thing kids are cute! :o)

love you so much and I'm glad you are enjoying your little man.