Thursday, February 27, 2014

This having 2 kid thing....



So, those of you on FB (if you don't know what that means, you aren't on it) ;) know that Leah hasn't been the best sleeper. She got waaaaaay worse in December after we all stayed in the same room for 3 nights, and I fed her every time she so much as peeped. She never really got better after that, and would typically wake AT LEAST two times a night, at midnight and at 3:30-4. This was (and is, it's not over!) totally exhausting, because Neal and I don't get a good stretch of sleep. Everyone knows that G was the best sleeper of all time, so the fact that Leah is still waking at least twice a night at almost 9 months is ROUGH! I didn't think she would sleep through the night at 8 weeks, like he did, but I thought by 8 MONTHS she would for sure. Little did I know how rough it could be! (and I also know that Leah isn't the WORST sleeper, either! How do people do it?!?)


Many people have suggested sleep training. Well, we have/are.... and she still wakes up twice a night minimum. Very depressing!!!!! The only thing we haven't tried is not going in to her AT ALL and I'm not sure when I'll be ready for that.... There are a few good things in all this.... I finally got sick of Leah being in our closet and put her in with Gideon (hooray 2 bedroom condo). He has NEVER woken up because she is fussing/screaming her head off, unless it's after 6 AM. This is amazing! I never thought he was a particularly heavy sleeper, but apparently he is. Another good thing is I still love Leah JUST AS MUCH as Gideon, so I'm not a fair weather Mom. ;) Another good thing is we are able to function fairly well, despite the lack of a long stretch of sleep. Another good thing is.... nope, can't think of anything else. I want more sleep. ;)


Other than the sleep issue, I think I have adjusted well to having 2 kids. When I am at my wits end with the sleep deprivation, I remind myself that I handle 2 kids well, I just don't handle 2 hours of sleep as well. ;) Gideon does a really great job of playing at home while Leah has her morning nap, and we still get out almost daily to see friends, go to the park/play in the snow, go to the library, or whatever.

Leah loves Gideon, and lights up whenever he interacts with her, which is often. It warms my heart to come into the room to see Gideon has given Leah some toys to play with to calm her down, without even being asked. He loves to hug her and hold her, and it is so sweet!

Leah has realized that Gideon's lovey, Monkey Boy, must be super special because Gideon will not share it with her. She lunges for it when she can, and beams when she gets a hold of it before Gideon can stop her. ;) One day Gideon was having breakfast with his back to Leah. She spotted Monkey Boy and pulled him toward her. Gideon immediately recognized the rattle, and without even turning around, said "Leah can't have Monkey Boy!!!!" It was hilarious.

Looooooooooooove my kids!!!!! I get nigh unto teary almost daily seeing how sweet they are. They light up my life on a daily basis, and bring me continual joy. I was about to say I wouldn't have it any other way, but actually, I would like to have it in a way that involves a full night of sleep--- oh well. ;)

4 comments:

Gela said...

Hannah, la prochaine fois que Leah, cette belle princesse, se réveille la nuit, essaie de lui donner un biberon d'eau, au lieu de l'allaiter. Avec nous, cela marché tout de suite, dès la première nuit. Mais, mon dieu, comment ils sont beaux et heureux t'es enfants. Toi tu es ravissante aussi.

Harmony said...

Poor Hannah! I wish I didn't understand your plight so well! Fodie took an exceptionally long time to sleep through the night. But! I found that when I tried to force it, it only stressed he and I out even more. And yet, if I simply tried to respond a bit slower to him, in case he wanted to fall back asleep, or tried to just cut back one feeding at a time, instead of shooting for the whole night, then I found subtle successes that made us so much happier. No one changes over night, not even darling chubby babies! You are such a good mom. Practicing unending patience is horrible and yet such a big part of mommyhood. You got this!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I feel ya. Sleep deprivation is so rotten. Motherhood would be fantastic without those sleep issues, or sickness, and with a maid.

Shannon said...

Im so glad you are back to blogging! Also, Im sorry Leah Love is still not sleeping well. I feel like Im taking crazy pills when my kids dont sleep all night! I wish I had advice for you, I didnt sleep train Sophie at all...She sleeps through the night, but is a bugger to put to bed. Jonny is an AWESOME sleeper now, but it took quite a few months to get here! I have no clue what I did.

Love you!!