Sunday, July 25, 2010

Virginia Beach Getaway


Neal and I left early Thursday morning, and spent the weekend at Virginia Beach. It was HOT/HUMID, but the water was c-c-c-cold so it really cooled us off. We stayed in Chesapeake, which was about 20 minutes from the actual beach, but we wanted to get the most out of our Marriott points! It is also notable that movies in Chesapeake are FOUR DOLLARS (here in the DC area they are 12.50!!!!!) so we saw Inception and Sorcerer's Apprentice-- we really like both, but Inception wins the WOW factor. I'm anxious for my sister Taylor to see it, because she will undoubtedly hate it. (She loves to hate movies, and it's highly entertaining to talk to her about them).
The beach was CROWDED, but such is to be expected during the summer. We rented a beach umbrella (best $15 we've ever spent!) to battle the sun-- I was disappointed to discover that you can get sunburned in the SHADE-- seriously?!?!

We had so much fun together-- it's so nice to be around each other 24/7 (yes, we're still in that honeymoon phase!) and the beach is an added bonus!
I also made a list of things that should be illegal on the beach: first and foremost, this swimming suit:

I simply HAD to take a picture of this girl.... this is UNDOUBTEDLY the most HIDEOUS swimsuit I have ever seen in my entire life. I didn't even know trikini's existed, and they really, really shouldn't.
Second on the list of things that should be illegal on the beach: bringing a cup of beer into the ocean and spilling it in the water in your drunken frenzy.
Third: this one should actually be illegal just in general: tattoos of lips on your butt-cheek.... sorry, no picture, Neal wouldn't let me (although it's best if you don't see it). We saw not one, but two girls that had this tattoo! GROOOOSS!
I'll stop there, but I do think it would be a good idea to have a nonsmoking area of the beach as well.... it's so gross that people use the beach as an ashtray! Anyway, it was an amazing vacation and I love Neal!

11 comments:

Taylor said...

Well, if you watch the kids, Shawn and I will go see Inception just for you (Dad hated it, BTW).

Taylor said...

Well, if you watch the kids, Shawn and I will go see Inception just for you (Dad hated it, BTW).

Rachel said...

Cute! I am really glad you two can get away for a while to be together. And yes, that swimming suit is scary.

Amylee said...

The swimming suit is called a monokini and they are all the rage right now. Why? I HAVE NO IDEA. Weird=fashion forward sometimes. I think it's a crime as well. It made her look like she was supposed to have two crotches or something!!!!! You should send these suggestions in to the city council :)
I'm glad you are still in the honeymoon stage- let it last for as long as possible.

Kiersten said...

Thank you thank you thank you for that picture. From now on, whenever I put on a swimsuit and think that I look enormous (because let's be honest, post baby that just happens sometimes), I will think of that picture and say to myself, "I may be enormous, but at least I'm not insane."

Angie said...

Yes, the swimsuit should be illegal; as should speedos, just saying. I'm glad you had fun and sorry you got burned in the shade, that's lame. And I like the new background on the blog. :)

Anonymous said...

The trikini made me laugh out loud, that was hilarious! Yeah, we saw many, many people wearing things for which I was embarrassed on their behalf. And probably only 2 1-piece swimsuits in 10 days of Hawaii. That's a lot of skin. A few men in speedos... *shudder* Very confident about their bodies, might I add. At least there were no Borat swimsuits.
(http://www.amazon.com/Borat-Mankini-Swimsuit-Costume-Suspender/dp/B000UGJSRU)--viewer beware, ;)

Cait said...

haha If you like that swimsuit you should go to peopleofwalmart.com

Also, Chase LOVED inception.

Glad your trip was fun!

Melanie said...

Hannah, I laughed aloud when I saw that swimsuit photo -- thanks for posting it!

I thought Inception was tedious and boring. Well, that would be LdC's angst and guilt, plus that fact that I didn't care about a single character. BUT the stretched time was cool, and the changing perspective fantastic!

kalie said...

Wait, I'm confused. Do you like Neal?

I loved the picture and your rant. You always make me laugh!

Barb said...

I have that trikini - so hot right now. =) The beach looks fun!! And Seattle now...you travel just about more than anyone I know lady! Gotta enjoy your summer off.