Thursday, July 21, 2011

The unexpected way being a Mom has changed me....

Now, just to preface this, those who know me well, know I'm not exactly..... hmmmm... how to put this delicately.... laid back. Yeah, I'm more of an uptight planner/any little change in plans MIGHT give me a stress attack, the brunt of which will be felt by my poor, perfect husband. So laid back/chill/go with the flow/play it by ear has never really described me... until now. I know, many of you won't believe this, but even Neal told me a couple of weeks postpartum, "you are much more even-keeled now, babe." That's right people, I'm chill. Can you even believe it? I'm calm, cool, and collected. How did this happen? Maybe at first I just didn't have the energy to be high strung---new baby and all, but I'm getting plenty of sleep now and I've stayed that way! I really like this new side of me (probably not as much as Neal does, though)! I'm basically this chill now:
Yeah, that's right, Lenny Kravitz chill. I don't really know if he's a chill person, but anyone who wears sunglasses that often must be pretty chill, right? (Side note: I am NOT okay with Lenny Kravitz playing Cinna in the Hunger Games!!!! Other than his impressively original and clever rhyming in "Fly Away" does he have any real talent?!?!? I'm hoping, REALLY hoping, to be pleasantly surprised. While discussing this with my friend Jay, he told me "The real thing you should be wondering is if he's gonna wear sunglasses the whole movie!" Jay is hilarious. If you do a google image search of Lenny, he's wearing sunglasses in probably 90% of the photos... awesome. Okay, this has been a very long side note--like longer than the post. Ending side note now.)

Turning more even-keeled has been a very pleasant, yet completely unexpected aspect of Motherhood. Oh Motherhood, how I love thee. Those of you who are friends with me on Facebook can attest that I LOVE being a Mom! I LOVE my baby, and I LOVE my new life. (Side note numèro deux: I think I partly LOVE it so much because my baby is a champion sleeper... my heart goes out to those of you with less-than-stellar sleepers!!!) Gideon melts my heart every day. He is the most adorable baby I have ever seen, and he brings so much joy into my life I can't even believe it. Gideon being placed on my belly right after birth was THE most incredible moment of my entire life. I am forever changed. I am even more in love with Neal, I enjoy life more, and I am CHILL! :)




9 comments:

Taylor said...

pretty amazing, han! I wish parenthood had had that effect on me. sigh. i'm working on it. p.s. I love the lenny kravitz photos where he is talking on the old fashion phone blue tooth set. that's pretty chill.

Taylor said...

p.s. Lenny Kravitz can't ruin hunger games, Suzanne Collins already did that, by writing Catching Fire and Mocking Jay.

Melinda said...

Gideon makes the sweetest faces. I love all his crazy expressions. I can see how getting lost in his cuteness would make someone "chill out."

Melanie said...

I agree with Taylor in every case, and I want that phone! Hannah, I have loved you loving motherhood! It tickles me how enamored you are of Gideon. I think you help every mom feel a little more content. Well, except those with the non-sleeping babies, so sorry.

Rich and Brianne said...

Surprisingly I feel I've gotten more chill--in some ways--since becoming a mother, too. (In other ways I'm more paranoid :) Also, that picture of Gideon is beyond adorable.

The Wood Family said...

Oh Hannah, dear Hannah, I'm so glad you LOVE LOVE being a mom. I think it's the most amazing, life-changing, self-changing thing EVER... but it's hard to explain why. Gideon is beautiful, and so are you!

Leslie said...

i too am more laid-back since having the baby- except now that he's crawling, I may feel my uptight-self making a comeback. And I have to argue for Collins- the ending was good!

kalie said...

Taylor's comment made me giggle! I am so glad you love it. I do, too. It completes me.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're still chill. Hope you may someday blog again. I miss hearing your funny updates. Love you!