Monday, April 27, 2009

Our aforementioned "cute" apartment...

Well... most of you know about this-- but I'd thought I'd put up some pics too. After we committed ourselves until September on this "cute" little apartment, I went over to bask in it's cuteness. As I was starting to move things around a little bit (the previous tenant left her couch and a few furniture items in the apt.) I discovered three horrifying things. The first was this:

That's right.... she "re-finished" the wood floor in the living room... AROUND (and sloppily at that) HER FURNITURE!!!!! If this isn't the definition of half@$$ed, I don't know what is! SERIOUSLY?!?!? I was truly shocked. I didn't know this was even remotely possible. Next I found this... EVERYWHERE!
That's right... cat hair. And Neal and I are both VERY ALLERGIC!!!! We didn't think to ask if she had a cat, as we saw no evidence of one.. but GROSS! (sorry to all you cat lovers are there). Since she didn't even pretend to clean the place-- the cat hair was EVERYWHERE--in the fridge, etc. yuck.

So after Neal and I spend a solid 2 hours cleaning, scrubbing, vacuuming, disinfecting (Neal mostly did the last two while I was in Utah, he's the best!), we were quite demoralized about our new place. But it started looking and smelling a lot better. Then we discovered these.


Lovely. Now our place has been exterminated and we see less cockroaches, but I still have a hard time spending more than 15 minutes at our new place. Poor Neal-- he's already living there, with a lot better attitude, I should add.

The bottom line is this: maybe you shouldn't try to find the cheapest place in all of Northern Virginia.. we're just lucky we only have to stay until September 1st! That being said it might clean up quite nicely be amazing and homey and we'll decided to stay for another year. I just kind of doubt it.

In other news-- less than three weeks! :) I was about to say I wouldn't mind living with cockroaches as long as I'm living with Neal... but I'm not sure that's entirely true..... I do love him a lot though! ;)

7 comments:

Barb said...

Good thing you love each other!! =) That stinks about the cat hair/allergies - Ry would die.

*Meg Larsen* said...

yeah welcome to nasty apartments! in provo, the married housing is the places which weren't good enough to qualify as "BYU approved." YIKES. our first place had ANTS living in the tile under the kitchen counter...

i distinctly remember spending two days cleaning this cottage...our friends "moved out" but didn't bother to clean anything since they didn't have a security deposit to get back. we told them we'd clean it, but we had no idea they would just unplug the fridge and leave everything in it...including meat in the door of the freezer!!!!! When we came in Monday morning the kitchen floor was covered in rotting food juices and blood from the meat!!!! talk about GROSS. did i mention i was 7 months pregnant cleaning that all up? worst thing ever.

BUT, after we got it clean and fixed it up a bit, it's been a great little cottage for us for the past two years. so you never know, it might turn out great! and in any case, you can always look back and laugh about it later.

kalie said...

Kalie wants to see the floor. Fix that picture so it works! There really is nothing as gross as someone else's dirt. When we moved into our rental house, we had to clean up all the mess left by our friends who lived her before us--like blinds and ceiling fans and stoves--crappy stuff nobody wants to clean. And then i had to go to church and play all nice. Just kidding. I wasn't mad. Just kinda grossed out. So... yup. Bargains come at a price. And I'm putting together a writing center training manual for the WC we're starting at my school in the fall (YAYAYAYAY!) and I came across some notes from you. It made me miss you and yearn for Cedar a bit. Those really were the good old days.

Neal! said...

Our Apartment

Love is in the air,
Extra with the cat hair.
Much of what I've seen I'll not share. If
Only we'd been aware!
Neal and Hannah need your prayers!

Samuel R said...

haha I love your floor. It reminds me of an old simpsons with sherry boppins where they broke out in song saying: "cut every corner, that's the american way!"

Kiersten said...

Umm, hello...I didn't even know you were engaged. When I saw you at Christmas it was like, this is Neal and he is NOT my fiance! Anyway, I think cherry blossoms make up for living with cockroaches, non?

Kiersten said...

Oh, gorgeous pictures, by the way. Red is a beautiful color on you!