So I'm taking time out of my day to tell you-- it's kind of weird when people ask me when I'm going to get pregnant. First of all, it's a question about our sex life.... I know, I know, many of you may be shocked that I said that... but IT IS! Secondly, we've been married for 3 months. Mark my words, if I'm not pregnant after THREE YEARS then feel free to mention it. Actually, don't because if I'm not pregnant in three years, it probably means I'm barren and I'll burst into tears when it's mentioned.In talking to Neal about this issue, he didn't think it was that weird that people ask me. I told him a) it was, and b) how did he like it when we were dating and people would ask "when are you guys getting engaged?!?" In that new light, Neal understood EXACTLY why it can be annoying. Both situations are pretty personal decisions that need to be made by the individual/couple after much thought and prayer. I'm glad you are interested in my periods and all that, but honestly, just rest assured that I will TELL YOU when I'm pregnant (NOTE: NOT when we're trying) so I think it's best to just avoid this question all together. ESPECIALLY if it's followed by an anecdote about how you and your husband didn't wait to have kids and you are so grateful, etc. etc.
Also, if I have ever asked you this question, I sincerely apologize. ;)
In other news, I start working full time PLUS teaching a night class at American University next week and I hope I can cope... I haven't worked full time since January so it might be a little difficult to get into the swing of things-- yikes. BUT I am very excited to start teaching French full time and quit being a bum. (I don't know how true the latter is, but I'm pretending.) Life here at the McMillan house is just peachy. No really, peachy. If you read my last post, you'll realize how punny I'm being. La vie est belle!
17 comments:
People are so weird. Why do they ask this question? I agree. It's not right.
But I am excited for you to start teaching full-time again! Good luck!
Amen girl!! I know exactly what you mean lol. I'll for sure let ppl know when that day finally arrives, but for now that day is NOT today lol. :)
I completely agree with you Hannah! I think every couple needs alone time before you add kids to the picture because it changes everything! Congrats on working full time!
We are always interested in people's reproductive decisions. Unfortunately just because it is none of our business doesn't mean we won't ask about it.
Good luck with the 2 jobs. You will be fabulous.
Pretty sure this post just made my day :) I completely understand! It gets even better when you DO get pregnant and people ask how many kids you want to have. Um, cant I just enjoy the ONE for now? Thanks.
Just smile and say, "we are practicing making one every chance we get". Worked for me.
Haha that's true once you're married that is the next question. Daron and I got that A LOT since now we are going on our 4th anniversary and we will barely have one child. So yeah I know how you feel:) Have so much fun teaching and good luck!!
Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. I mean, Casey and I have been married for 5 months now…shouldn't I be due in 4 more?
And then it's...people rubbing your belly, asking about your boobs (breastfeeding), then asking details about the delivery (hello!?), then asking when you're having the next one...it just gets worse. =)
I think its weird that they would ask when you just barely got married. Have some time to yourselves first. I have asked that question before but I was very close with that person and the timing was appropriate. Yes, Barb is right the questions do get worse.
I totally agree with Taylor--my response was always "nope, just practicing." It still gets me every time someone announces to essentially a group of strangers that they're trying to get pregnant. Hello? You're informing the rest of us about your sex life?
Well, I used to say, "We've agreed that Brian will be having our first child. After that I'll have any more that he wants."
You JUST got married. Just to warn you tho, random strangers will start rubbing your belly when you do get prego. Now that is awkward. Take all the time you need to get ready! Love you!!
Hi Hannie!
I'm so glad you check up on me and my blog! I miss you and love you too and SO enjoy seeing what you and Neal are up to...
You make me laugh every time I read.
Hannah!! I know exaclty what you mean! Our good ol' friend Rachel Jolley now Poulsen taught me a great trick. Just get real said and say sort of slowly, "OH, um...his "stuff" doesn't work." Harsh for the guys but it really does work!! ;)
Hannah makes me laugh!!! Love it :)
Mwahaha! Good times. I had to learn the hard way about asking people that question when I asked a couple one time if they had thought about having kids yet and.... turns out they'd been trying for 5 years. Awkward.
But the worst was when my step-mother-in-law asked me point blank, "are you pregnant?" I had just found out that I was but we usually don't tell anyone until about 3 months along. I felt so jipped because I didn't want to tell her, but couldn't lie, so I told her. These days, I just lie. You're right, if you haven't made the info public, it's because you don't want people to know! Grrr.
Post a Comment